Interning in AA


Interning in Ann Arbor, Michigan can be overwhelming and often times very expensive. Don't let these factors turn you away from being apart of one of the Midwest's most up and coming tech cities! Now that I am a few weeks into my internship, I can share some tips and tricks to help you navigate through the city and make your internship a breeze.

1. DEALING WITH TRAFFIC

Dealing with traffic in AA is such a pain! On your first day, make sure to take a thorough look at your directions so that you get a certain sense of where you are going. You don't want to be staring at your GPS the whole time... trust me on this. The streets are very narrow and there are many turns you need to make within the city. Keep your eyes peeled, and try to be confident with where you are going. Always leave plenty of time to travel in case of traffic, accidents, or getting lost. Plus, being early is never a bad thing!

2. PARKING

Parking is probably the worst thing to deal with in AA. For weeks I was parking in the structure right next to my building because it was fast and convenient. I thought "$1.20 an hour isn't THAT bad, right?". Well, multiply that by the seven hours I'm there for three days a week and we're looking at $25 Still don't think that's bad? That's about $100 a month! I took action on this fast and realized I could stop being lazy and just park in the street. If you want to make this happen, you definitely have to leave early. If you just give yourself a little bit of time to spare, you have time to look in the neighborhood for a parking spot and walk to your building. It is a nice time to 'unplug' in the morning, and get a nice exercise in before the long day! NOTE: Make sure you are aware of what days the city tickets. You can only park on certain sides of the street on certain days!

3. LUNCH

Lunch involves time, and money. I try to only limit myself to eating out twice a week (which is honestly still a lot (but I have no self control)). Of course you're going to save time and money by packing a lunch, but don't be afraid to splurge and 'treat yo self' when you want to! Grabbing lunch with your coworkers is a great way to connect on a personal level and get you out of the office. You'll be surprised what opportunities or conversations can come up by grabbing a bite to eat. If you're on a budget, just make sure to keep a close eye on what you're spending. Remember, everything is better in moderation!

I hope these tips help any of you who are looking to find an internship in Ann Arbor, Michigan in the future. It is a great city with amazing food, people, and community. Don't let the overwhelming factories of this 'little big city' drive you away from it's amazing opportunities!

Comments

Popular Posts